[Dovecot] Thunderbird 1.5 and messages with no Date: header

Jakob Hirsch jh at plonk.de
Wed May 24 10:52:58 EEST 2006

grant beattie wrote:

>> If the incoming message doesn't contain the Date header, it isn't
>> valid. Your MDA doesn't conform the the RFC 2822, IMHO.
> indeed, however, we get too much mail that has no Date: header for it to
> be realistic to reject them. upon investigating, Exim has no
> out-of-the-box way to add a missing Date: header, though I can craft a
> configuration to do it.

See section 43.1 of the Exim spec: "control = submission", probably with
"/sender_retain".
Strange enough, a missing Date header has never been an issue to me and I
never read much from others about it. And I let TB simply sort by arrival
order (threaded), so I also don't rely on the Date header.

> the reason for asking for a way to implement this workaround in Dovecot is
> so that existing messages and MUAs can "just work".

Fixing this in the MTA/MDA is not really nice, but it's not half as ugly
as doing it in dovecot.