[Dovecot] dovecot can't start!

Chris H. fbsd at 1command.com
Wed May 24 19:36:00 EEST 2006

Quoting "Oleg D." <dzoleg at rsute.ru>:

> MB> Hmmm... I was seeing a problem rather like this with 1.0beta8
> under Solaris
> MB> with Sun's compiler: only it was with the IMAP protocol rather than POP.
>
> MB> The problem there was an assumption Tio had made that everyone
> was using a
> MB> C99-compatible compiler.  Apparently this handles some aspects of
> variable
> MB> initialisation differently from earlier C compilers.
>
> MB> In my case adding a command-line option to the C compiler to flip it into
> MB> C99 mode seemed to solve the problem.  The option for our compiler was
> MB> "-xc99" -- however if your compiler has such an option it may have a
> MB> different name.  If you check the manual page for your C compiler you may
> MB> find an equivalent option to try.
>
> MB> However another solution was provided by Timo in the form of a
> simple patch
> MB> that made changes to a couple of source files.  I hope Timo doesn't mind:
> MB> I'm re-sending his patch as an attachment to this message as it is tiny.
> MB> You could try applying it and rebuilding Dovecot.
>
> MB> Cheers,
> MB> Mike Brudenell
>
> But I use FreeBSD 4.11-RELEASE-p15 with native compiler.
> Really nobody has this problem on freebsd?
>
> And the main - Why I can't start dovecot without SSL :)
> Why I see in log "pop3-login: BUG: SSL initialization parameters not
> given while they should have been"
> even if I have "ssl_disable = yes" in dovecot.conf
> 1.0b3 works fine.
> This problem is main for me
> because I don't want to use SSL.

I run FreeBSD here, and my hunch is that SSL (or some form) was
compiled it. Which would help explain the errors you describe.
What "knobs" did you use when you built it? Did you simply take
the default without examining the Makefile? My hunch is that if
you take a closer look at how it was built and installed; you'll
find some form of SSL/ encryption was built into it, and you'll
either have to: cd /usr/ports/mail/dovecot; make deinstall;
tweak the Makefile to your needs; make reinstall. Or figure out
how to utilize the security method that was built in by default.
Perhaps SASL2, or GSSAPI, as I see they're options in the Makefile.

Best wishes. I hope this helps.

--Chris H.

--
Shameless self-promotion follows...
... or does it?

FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE-p12 (SMP - 900x2) Tue Mar 7 19:37:23 PST 2006