[Dovecot] Re: Apple Mail and too many open files?

Roger Weeks rjw at mcn.org
Wed May 24 22:12:58 EEST 2006

On May 24, 2006, at 10:29 AM, Les Mikesell wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-05-24 at 11:51, Roger Weeks wrote:
>
>> If you're running filesharing of ANY kind on your mail server, you
>> should stop it.  Mail servers should run mail, not run AFP and Samba
>> and other things.
>
> Why?  A robust OS can do many things at once up to its resource
> limits.

Sure it can.  But in my experience, it's bad practice, both in the
enterprise and in the service provider world.  When your box gets hit
with a denial of service attack, or 500 users decide to copy the
latest cool video to their home dir, and it's also your mail and web
server, all of your services go to hell.

When you have a box dedicated to specific services, you can upgrade
that box without affecting all of your services.  If the box dies,
not all of your services die.

--
Roger J. Weeks
Systems & Network Administrator