[Dovecot] LDAP, sieve, and virtual users

Tracy R Reed treed at ultraviolet.org
Thu May 25 00:04:43 EEST 2006

This seems to be a common topic but I haven't seen anyone ask this exact
question and get a decent answer:

I use virtual mailboxes with all of the db's in LDAP. Last night I
upgraded to the latest CVS version of dovecot and dovecot-lda and got
global sieve filtering working by setting the global_script_path to a
sieve like /home/vmail/mydomain/sieve and it works great. Now I need to
figure out how to get per-user sieve filtering to work. I googled on
this and found:

http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2005-August/008568.html

How do I tell dovecot where the "virtual home directory" is? Yes, I
could use /home/vmail/mydomain/user as my virtual home directory  (that
is where I originally tried to put .dovecot.sieve but it did not seem to
work) but I don't see how I can tell dovecot about it. I see that in
deliver.c

#define SIEVE_SCRIPT_PATH "~/.dovecot.sieve"

we hard code SIEVE_SCRIPT_PATH with the home dir location. Am I going to
have to replace this with some code that generates an appropriate path
for my system or is there a better way?

And while I am here: Has any thought been given to being able to pull
sieve scripts from LDAP? At the moment sieve really does not buy me much
because the end users still do not have any way to edit their sieve
files on the server (no shells and can't code sieve's language) but it
would be nice if I could create a web interface somewhere which could
generate basic filters from templates and store their sieve filters in
LDAP so I didn't have to deal with somehow writing to files in their
virtual home dirs on the mail server. I have found old conversations
such as:

http://www.mhonarc.org/archive/html/ietf-mta-filters/1999-06/msg00000.html

but do not see where any standard way of doing this has come about. Or
really even any implementations at all of sieve stored in LDAP.

Thanks!

--
Tracy R Reed                  http://ultraviolet.org
A: Because we read from top to bottom, left to right