[Dovecot] missing empty line in mbox folders with Outlook 2000 client

Gary Funck gary at intrepid.com
Mon May 29 20:25:18 EEST 2006

I recently looked into a problem that has been plaguing me since the
switch to dovecot a couple of years back, documented here:
http://mailman.rwth-aachen.de/pipermail/procmail/2006-May/024363.html

The gist is that when I tell Outlook 2000 to write all outgoing mail
into a Sent-mail folder on the IMAP server (using mbox format), I
find that the mbox's don't have empty lines separating the messages,
(though the Content-Length field is correct.  This leads to interoperability
problems with programs and scripts that expect each mbox message to be
separated by an empty line.

(We're running dovecot-1.0-0.beta2.7 under Fedora Core 5 on an x86_64
platform.)

Has this mbox behavior been reported before?  Is it considered a bug or
a feature?  Is there a configuration option, or Outlook tweak, that can
be enabled to ensure that the mbox's produced by writing messages to
them via Outlook, are well-formed (have an empty line separating messages)?