[Dovecot] Re: Maildirquota

Bill Boebel bill at webmail.us
Tue May 30 14:56:43 EEST 2006

On Tue, May 30, 2006 5:24, Timothy White said:
> > Here is an example of the format of the maildirsize file, where the
>> first
> > line is the quota, and the next lines are the message size and message
> > count columns which get summed together to calculate how much is used:
>
> Can I just touch the file, and allow dovecot to fill it in?

No, Dovecot won't fill it in that case either.  At least the IMAP server
won't.  Not sure about the LDA.

> I'm returning the quota size from database, why then does it need to be
> in the maildirsize file?

The logic is:  use the values in maildirsize whenever possible since that
contains the current space used in addition to the quota limit, then if
maildirsize does not exist or is too old or known to be wrong, recreate it
by scanning the maildir and querying the database.  Dovecot should always
create it if it does not exist, but it is not.

Bill