[Dovecot] Out of Quota Causing "BYE Too many invalid IMAP commands."

Jan Kundrát jkt at gentoo.org
Tue May 30 15:30:23 EEST 2006

Timothy White wrote:
>> I think this means that Squirrelmail just sent the message anyway even
>> after Dovecot replied to APPEND command with "NO Quota exceeded". So I'd
>> say this is a Squirrelmail bug. If Squirrelmail insists on sending the
>> message anyway, it should use LITERAL+ extension and this won't be a
>> problem.
>

> Not fully understanding the IMAP protocole. How should the LITERAL+
> extension help? If the APPEND is going to exceed quota, then how can
> SM still send the message? (Save as Draft)?

If SM uses the "traditional" IMAP4rev1 mechanism, it sends something
like "tag APPEND mailbox {size-of-message}\r\n" and waits for server's
"+OK feel free to send me the data\r\n", but it receives "tag NO I'm not
interested in your junk\r\n". At this point Dovecot properly expects
another IMAP command while SM ignores the standard and sends the actual
message, however Dovecot correctly parses it as an IMAP command.

The LITERAL+ extension (among other things) forces the server to
actually receive the data, regardless if it wants to process them or
discard them.

HTH,
-jkt

--