[Dovecot] Out of Quota Causing "BYE Too many invalid IMAP commands."

Timothy White weirdit at gmail.com
Tue May 30 15:40:07 EEST 2006

On 5/30/06, Jan Kundrát <jkt at gentoo.org> wrote:
> Timothy White wrote:
> >> I think this means that Squirrelmail just sent the message anyway even
> >> after Dovecot replied to APPEND command with "NO Quota exceeded". So I'd
> >> say this is a Squirrelmail bug. If Squirrelmail insists on sending the
> >> message anyway, it should use LITERAL+ extension and this won't be a
> >> problem.
> >

> > Not fully understanding the IMAP protocole. How should the LITERAL+
> > extension help? If the APPEND is going to exceed quota, then how can
> > SM still send the message? (Save as Draft)?
>
> If SM uses the "traditional" IMAP4rev1 mechanism, it sends something
> like "tag APPEND mailbox {size-of-message}\r\n" and waits for server's
> "+OK feel free to send me the data\r\n", but it receives "tag NO I'm not
> interested in your junk\r\n". At this point Dovecot properly expects
> another IMAP command while SM ignores the standard and sends the actual
> message, however Dovecot correctly parses it as an IMAP command.
>
> The LITERAL+ extension (among other things) forces the server to
> actually receive the data, regardless if it wants to process them or
> discard them.

Ok, I understand the LITERAL+ better now.

from the rawlogs, I have got the following

A002 LIST "" "Drafts"
A003 APPEND "Drafts" (\Seen) {1158269}

S: * OK [RAWLOG TIMESTAMP] 2006-05-30 20:55:33
C: A002 LIST "" "Drafts"
S: * LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "Drafts"
S: A002 OK List completed.
C: A003 APPEND "Drafts" (\Seen) {1158269}
C: Received: from 220.235.130.138
C: ...
S: A003 NO Quota exceeded
S: Received: BAD Error in IMAP command FROM: Unknown command.
S:....

(Due to IMAP style, I can't determine exactly what order of things, as
I'm taking these from the rawlogs)

So yes, that shows the SM isn't playing right.

/me goes to file a bug.

Thanks

Tim
--