[Dovecot] Authentication in outlook

Michael Surette msurette at laframboise.net
Thu Nov 2 19:56:10 UTC 2006

On Saturday 28 October 2006 11:10, Paul Aguirre wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have instaled dovecot 1.0.rc10, and my configuration works fine if I get
> the mail with Evolution mail client, bu if I try to use outlook to get
> mails the authentication fail and I can't pass through the logon window.
> The maillog appear this message:

Here's the configuration file I use on 1.0.beta9 that works with Outlook using
pop3s (port 995).  I really don't like unencrypted plaintext authentication.
I run Slackware, so no pam.

# basic settings
base_dir = /var/run/dovecot
#protocols = imap imaps pop3 pop3s
protocols = imap imaps pop3s
listen = *

# SSL settings
ssl_cert_file = /etc/ssl/certs/host-cert.pem
ssl_key_file  = /etc/ssl/certs/host-key.pem
ssl_ca_file   = /etc/ssl/certs/domain-ca.pem
disable_plaintext_auth = no

# mail process settings
mail_extra_groups = smmsp

# mail storage
default_mail_env = maildir:/srv/imap/%u:INDEX=MEMORY

# file control
maildir_copy_with_hardlinks = yes

# imap settings
protocol imap {
 imap_client_workarounds = outlook-idle
}

# pop3 settings
protocol pop3 {
 pop3_uidl_format = %08Xv%08Xu
 pop3_client_workarounds = outlook-no-nuls oe-ns-eoh
}

# authentication settings
auth default {
 mechanisms = plain