[Dovecot] Sending email using IMAP

Steven F Siirila sfs at tc.umn.edu
Fri Nov 3 17:57:59 UTC 2006

On Fri, Nov 03, 2006 at 12:30:11PM -0500, Jim Trigg wrote:
> On Fri, November 3, 2006 12:09 pm, Marc Perkel wrote:
> > Gunter Ohrner wrote:

> >> Why not?
>
> > Because the virus wouldn't have the password.
>
> That doesn't answer the question.  Why would the IMAP password be any less
> accessible to a virus than the SMTP password?  (For that matter, what you
> just used was "proof by assertion" which is meaningless.  "The virus
> wouldn't have access to the IMAP password because the virus wouldn't have
> the password.")

Not sure if this is where either of you are going, but...

If people are foolish enough to save their account's password on-disk,
then a virus (given enough intelligence) will have access to it.
Yes, it means that you'll have to type it in once per startup of the
e-mail client, but I for one leave mine running -- and use hibernate.

--

Steven F. Siirila			Office: Lind Hall, Room 130B
Internet Services			E-mail: sfs at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology	Voice: (612) 626-0244
University of Minnesota			Fax: (612) 626-7593