[Dovecot] Sending email using IMAP

Marc Perkel marc at perkel.com
Fri Nov 3 18:36:13 UTC 2006

Jim Trigg wrote:
> On Fri, November 3, 2006 12:09 pm, Marc Perkel wrote:
>
>> Gunter Ohrner wrote:

>>> Why not?
>>>

>> Because the virus wouldn't have the password.
>>

> That doesn't answer the question.  Why would the IMAP password be any less
> accessible to a virus than the SMTP password?  (For that matter, what you
> just used was "proof by assertion" which is meaningless.  "The virus
> wouldn't have access to the IMAP password because the virus wouldn't have
> the password.")
>
> Jim Trigg

IMAP requires a password. SMTP it's optional. I think that consumer SMTP
should be replaced with not only something that requires a password, but
that the user has to log into the account that they are sending email
from. SMTP doesn't have to be tied to IMAP accounts. If you have an SMTP
account you can spoof anyone. My idea with IMAP sending is to deny the
ability of the sender to use a different email address that the one that
they are logged into. This is to prevent spam and spoofing.