[Dovecot] Server-side mail archiving - possible dovecot lda feature?

Fri Nov 3 21:41:15 UTC 2006

> the most logical place to put archiving would be the MTA (not dovecot
> but postfix for you).

I agree - but was under the impression that, if Postfix is using the
dovecot LDA, it might be easy to do this with the dovecot lda. Obviously
I was not thinking clearly - thanks for straightening me out....

> But then you'll probably complain that the archive isn't visible in
> IMAP.

? I would share the maildir, and only those who had access could see the
archives.

>>> For archive.inbox, simply make your MTA deliver a second copy to there,

>> Postfix has an 'always_bcc' option, but it does not preserve the message
>> with all of the headers intact, so this is not an option.

> Use a saner MTA then.

There are more than a few people out there who might take issue with
your intimation that postfix is not a sane mta. That said...

<snip>

> For the MTA, I can only point to how exim can do it:
> http://www.exim.org/eximwiki/FAQ/Delivery/Q0622
> http://www.exim.org/eximwiki/FAQ/Miscellaneous/Q5033

Thanks for the pointers. I've heard of exim, but never played with it...
maybe I'll give it a look...

> Has it ever occurred to you that a product as you want is not even
> possible because if written for postfix it won't work on another system
> that uses exim or sendmail or ....?

So, why exactly do you think I made reference to doing this via a plug-in?

> And if it serves the archive with cyrus and uses maildrop, then it
> won't work with dovecot/dovecot-lda?

I don't get your point? What difference does it make if a plug-in for
postfix doesn't work for exim?

Anyway, I've learned enough to know that I should definitely be looking
at an MTA level solution, so thanks at least for getting me this far,
even if you did so with a bit of an attitude...

--

Best regards,

Charles