[Dovecot] Dovecot 1.0.rc10

Anand Buddhdev arb at anand.org
Sun Nov 5 17:30:04 UTC 2006

Egbert Jan wrote:

> Hi there!

Hi Egbert,

> I was planning to rebuild/test my Postfix/Courier based mailserver on
> the test machine when I discovered Dovecot. I Installed rc10 and it
> seems to work when I just configure (with mysql) and make (install).
> Since I would like to build an rpm, I tried rpmbuild with the at
> src.rpm. That doen't work for me yet. Some libraries seem to be
> missing. Strange, because the plain configure/make does not complain.
> I will have to look into that again. Maybe a lib in a dfferent
> location which I have to state somewhere.

There's a different in building from source, and building an RPM. When
you run configure and make, the configure script checks for certain
libraries, but if they are not present, it ignores them, and avoids
building a certain feature into Dovecot.

An RPM, on the other hand, chooses to build a package in a certain way,
and therefore has explicitly defined dependencies.

> There is no 'real' start/stop init file, as far as I can see. Should I
> invent that myself or is there init script around somewhere?

Someone posted an init script here recently, so you could look back in
the archives for last week, and use that. Alternatively, you can
download the Fedora Core RPM from atrpms.net, and extract and adapt the
init script in there for your system.

--
Anand