[Dovecot] 1.0rc10 proxy memory usage problem

Laurent Papier papier at sdv.fr
Tue Nov 7 08:48:34 UTC 2006

Le Thu, 02 Nov 2006 20:45:13 +0200
Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> écrit:

> On Tue, 2006-10-24 at 09:55 +0200, Laurent Papier wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I have a rather large dovecot setup (4 proxy only servers and 21 IMAP/POP3
> > servers) in production for 3 days now.
> >
> > The memory usage on my proxy servers only grows over time. It looks like a
> > memory leak somewhere in dovecot. I have a RRD graph available on demand.
>
> Well, most importantly you didn't say which process's memory usage
> grows? imap-login, pop3-login, both of them, or dovecot-auth?

Both of them. In fact the size seems to grow up to login_process_size.
I have half most of the value in my configuration files and the memory usage is
now stable around 1GB of RAM used.

My question is now what is a good setting for login_process_size with
'login_process_per_connection = no' ?

With 'login_process_per_connection = no' what is the relation between
login_process_size and login_max_connections ?

My new configuration is :

protocols = pop3 imap
disable_plaintext_auth = no
ssl_disable = yes
login_process_size = 64
login_process_per_connection = no
login_processes_count = 8
login_max_connections = 256
login_greeting = ready
auth_cache_size = 16384
auth_cache_ttl = 1800
auth_worker_max_count = 30
auth default {
  mechanisms = plain
  # Userdb settings are not used with proxy but there need to be something.
  userdb static {
    args = static uid=5000 gid=5000 home=/dev/null
  }
  passdb sql {
    args = /etc/dovecot-mysql.conf
  }