[Dovecot] 1.0rc10 proxy memory usage problem

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Nov 7 15:20:13 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-11-07 at 09:48 +0100, Laurent Papier wrote:
> Le Thu, 02 Nov 2006 20:45:13 +0200
> Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> écrit:
>
> > On Tue, 2006-10-24 at 09:55 +0200, Laurent Papier wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > I have a rather large dovecot setup (4 proxy only servers and 21 IMAP/POP3
> > > servers) in production for 3 days now.
> > >
> > > The memory usage on my proxy servers only grows over time. It looks like a
> > > memory leak somewhere in dovecot. I have a RRD graph available on demand.
> >
> > Well, most importantly you didn't say which process's memory usage
> > grows? imap-login, pop3-login, both of them, or dovecot-auth?
>
> Both of them. In fact the size seems to grow up to login_process_size.

Right, because after that the kernel kills the process.

> My question is now what is a good setting for login_process_size with
> 'login_process_per_connection = no' ?
..
> With 'login_process_per_connection = no' what is the relation between
> login_process_size and login_max_connections ?

The more connections the process handles at the same time the more
memory it needs.

Anyway.. I did a lot of fixes now to login processes. The largest memory
leak should be fixed by these patches:

http://dovecot.org/list/dovecot-cvs/2006-November/006753.html
http://dovecot.org/list/dovecot-cvs/2006-November/006754.html

But I did several other fixes also which may have leaked memory or
crashed. Mostly related to AUTHENTICATE / AUTH commands, or client
disconnecting before login to remote server was complete.

I guess it's time for rc13 :)