[Dovecot] 1.0rc10 proxy memory usage problem

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Nov 7 16:19:39 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-11-07 at 16:44 +0100, Laurent Papier wrote:
> Le Tue, 07 Nov 2006 17:20:13 +0200
> Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> écrit:
>
> > > With 'login_process_per_connection = no' what is the relation between
> > > login_process_size and login_max_connections ?
> >
> > The more connections the process handles at the same time the more
> > memory it needs.
>
> Sure ! But can you give us some advise about the value we should use ?
> For example :
> login_process_per_connection = no
> login_max_connections = 512
> login_process_size = ???

Well.. If you're not using SSL, then I think one connection takes max.
16kB of memory. Probably less. So 512*16/1024 = 8MB. Then there's the
memory that's needed for it to work at all. I think the default 32MB
would be enough for this, but you can be sure only by looking how much
memory it really uses :)

> How dovecot handle a too small value in login_process_size ?

Dovecot doesn't handle it. Dovecot just tells to kernel at startup that
"process's max. virtual size is this". If memory usage grows over that,
the kernel kills the process. This most likely has happened to you and
you should have seen "killed by signal 9" in logs (I think it was 9).