[Dovecot] Index corruption causes child process to die

Luigi Rosa lrosa at hypertrek.info
Wed Nov 8 15:39:32 UTC 2006

Timo Sirainen said the following On 7/11/2006 22:39:

> Oh, right, the patch.

Sigh! ;(((

Nov  8 16:20:41 mail dovecot: IMAP(lrosa): Fixed index file
/var/spool/mail2/lrosa/.HT list/dovecot.index:
first_recent_uid_lowwater 4407 -> 4406
Nov  8 16:20:41 mail dovecot: IMAP(lrosa): Corrupted index file
/var/spool/mail2/lrosa/.HT list/dovecot.index: Duplicate header
extension keywords
Nov  8 16:21:43 mail dovecot: IMAP(lrosa): Corrupted index file
/var/spool/mail2/lrosa/.HT list/dovecot.index: Duplicate header
extension keywords

This events has been loggd few moments ago when "too many open files"
message arrived and Thunderbird moved it to Dovecot mailbox.

I think that is some kind of race condition that occurs only when
there are "fast" servers. In am not talking about supercomputers, but
situiations of realtively small amount of workload. This situation
coul be worsened by a direct LAN connection between client and server
and a frequent (mine is 1 minute) check by mail client. Could it be
possible?

Please note that your patch was useful because this is the first error
I get in 12 hours, previously I got this kind of error more often.

Ciao,
luigi

--
/
+--[Luigi Rosa]--

The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements:
energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.
     --G'Kar "Survivors", Babylon 5