[Dovecot] 1.0.rc12 released - High Load Levels

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Nov 9 22:06:02 UTC 2006

Quoting Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi>:

>> I just now upgraded from RC10 to RC12 using the atrpms RPM version.
>> It does _seem_ to be a bit slower (I only notice really because RC10
>> was _SO FREEKING FAST_ that RC12 seems a bit slow in comparison.

Very strange.  I've just upgraded to RC13 and it seems faster again...
Note that the change was not very great, only slightly noticable, but
still noticable...

> If you want to debug this a bit, you could try looking with strace where
> it's spending most of its time:
> http://wiki.dovecot.org/Debugging/ProcessTracing

I've not yet had the time to do this, but RC13 seems to be a bit faster
than RC12, perhaps as fast as rc10.

> And maybe even compare that to rc10.
>
> Anyway I don't think much has changed since rc10. I only fixed some bugs
> in mbox handling code, but that shouldn't have slowed it down either.

Could be the bugs there, or the memory leaks, or???  Who knows.  I've not
had time to test, and to tell the truth they are all faster than the
wu-imapd I was using, so...

>> In the next couple of hours, I'll probably change to the new dovecot.conf
>> file with the new mail_location and see if that changes anything.
>
> It won't.

Well, I bit the bullet and made the change anyway, and as you say it doesn't
seem to make any difference.

A great product.  All the errors I've seen in previous RC versions are
gone now AFAICT.  Looks very, very promising.  (Note I'm still only using
this in test mode with about 300 users, all IMAP, all mbox).  Thanks for
the great work Timo!

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics