[Dovecot] 1.0.rc12 released - High Load Levels

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Nov 7 16:39:09 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-11-07 at 10:29 -0600, Eric Rostetter wrote:
> Quoting Charles Marcus <CMarcus at Media-Brokers.com>:
>
> > Marc Perkel wrote:
> >> Timo,
> >>
> >> rc12 seem to be running slow and high load levels. You seem to be
> >> switching back and forth between being fast and slow. I'm going
> >> back to rc7 because it worked really well. I'm running MBOX.
> >
> > Well thats a real helpful bug report...
>
> I just now upgraded from RC10 to RC12 using the atrpms RPM version.
> It does _seem_ to be a bit slower (I only notice really because RC10
> was _SO FREEKING FAST_ that RC12 seems a bit slow in comparison.

If you want to debug this a bit, you could try looking with strace where
it's spending most of its time:
http://wiki.dovecot.org/Debugging/ProcessTracing

And maybe even compare that to rc10.

Anyway I don't think much has changed since rc10. I only fixed some bugs
in mbox handling code, but that shouldn't have slowed it down either.

> In the next couple of hours, I'll probably change to the new dovecot.conf
> file with the new mail_location and see if that changes anything.

It won't.