[Dovecot] Writing to mail directory

Gerard Seibert gerard at seibercom.net
Sat Nov 11 21:15:09 UTC 2006

FreeBSD 6.1
Dovecot 1.0.rc12

Using Dovecot as an LDA produces this error message:

// START ERROR MESSAGE //

deliver(gerard):
Error:open(/var/mail/.temp.scorpio.seibercom.net.812.03034e3c3c1ab1c8)
failed: Permission denied

deliver(gerard): Error: file_lock_dotlock() failed with mbox file
/var/mail/gerard: Permission denied

// END ERROR MESSAGE//

Actually, there are dozens of similar messages for all of my accounts.
One example is enough to see what I am referring to. I am using Postfix
for my mail-server.

If I change the permissions on the directory to '1777' the error goes away
and everything seems normal. The problem is that I should not have to do
that and I do not understand what the problem is. Has anyone else
experienced this phenomena and come up with a solution?

Thanks!

--
Gerard

 	"Off list mail from *.gmail.com is rejected/deleted unseen. Don't
 	waste your time."