[Dovecot] 1.0.rc13 released

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Wed Nov 15 15:28:52 UTC 2006

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-11-09 at 17:09 +0100, Gábor Lénárt wrote:
>
>> If someone have ANY information, please help me. We used tpop3d before, and
>> that also had similar problems (eg hanging the whole service after a while).
>> That LDAP server is OpenLDAP from Ubuntu 6.06 LTS on AMD64 (2.2.26-5ubuntu2.1).
>> You may think that if both of tpop3d and dovecot fails similary it should
>> be the problem of the LDAP server, however other services (web interface,
>> postfix) does work without a single problem since a month or so. Tried with
>> v2 and v3 LDAP protocol as well. I ran out of ideas ;-(
>>

> I think the difference is that Dovecot keeps the connection open all the
> time, while web/postfix keep reconnecting to it constantly.

Another thing to check would be the version of OpenLDAP.  We've been
running an FC5 installation of dovecot with OpenLDAP 2.3.19 (upgraded
periodically as they come up) without a hitch.

And, yes, Timo is correct.  Postfix, Sendmail, Web, etc.. they all
connect to the LDAP backend as needed, and close the connection when
done with that particular process.

-Rich