[Dovecot] Dovecot on Solaris

Glenn Leavell glenn at usg.edu
Tue Nov 21 01:52:47 UTC 2006

On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 04:06:26PM -0600, Steven F Siirila wrote:

> For those running Dovecot on Solaris, what are your positive/negative
> experiences with building the software with CC vs. GCC?  We are currently
> letting ./configure find our gcc and build with it, but wondered if anyone
> has any experience with Sun CC (does it even compile, for example).

I've successfully compiled Dovecot with GCC, but I'm currently using Sun
Studio 11 / Sun C 5.8, and it works well.  I'm using Solaris on SPARC, and
presumably, Sun's compiler does a better job optimizing code for the SPARC,
but that *is* just a presumption (I haven't performed any comparison
benchmarks).

Glenn

--
Glenn Leavell <glenn at usg.edu>
Office of Information and Instructional Technology