[Dovecot] duplicate emails

Adam Lackorzynski adam at os.inf.tu-dresden.de
Tue Nov 21 08:48:10 UTC 2006

Hi,

On Mon Nov 20, 2006 at 18:31:48 +0200, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-11-20 at 10:56 +0100, Alex wrote:
> > i'm working with dovecot-1.0.rc15
> >
> > I have receive a lot of duplicate emails with microsoft outlook, i
> > don't have this problem with outlook express
> > This is in pop3

One of my users is seeing duplicate mails occasionally too. Client is
Sylpheed with POP3. It is quite seldom, maybe twice a month, using
POP3 several hours a day. We've been seeing this for some time now,
including up to rc13. Haven't tried rc15 yet. We haven't found a way to
reproduce this behaviour. Mailbox format is mbox.
The mbox file is on a local filesystem, the index files are on NFS
(actually, ~/Mail/INBOX points to /var/mail/$user).
I have "mmap_disable = yes" and default locking. Client and server are
recent Linux kernels. Server is running 32 bit userland with 64 bit
kernel on a BE machine. Client is standard 32 bit kernel and user.

> What do you have in pop3_uidl_format? That's the only thing that I can
> think of what could be configured wrong.

pop3_uidl_format = %08Xu%08Xv

> What do you see in logs? Does the client disconnect normally, or is
> there a timeout, crash or something?

Nothing exciting in the logs, everything looks normal.

Adam
Adam                 adam at os.inf.tu-dresden.de