[Dovecot] Connection to server time out when deleting (moving to Trash)

Anders Lund anders.lund at uninett.no
Wed Nov 22 09:51:38 UTC 2006

Dirk Essl wrote:
> Anders Lund wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Running:
>>  * Dovecot 1.0 rc15
>>  * Debian Sarge Linux
>>
>> Using Maildir and IMAP over SSL.
>>
>> When trying to delete a lot of mail (> 5000-6000 messages) in some
>> folder, using Mozilla Thunderbird (1.5.0.7) on Ubuntu, I often
>> experience "Connection to server <hostname> timed out." Any suggestions
>> on how to fix this problem?
>>
>> "Empty Trash" seem to work fine, so I guess this is related to moving a
>> lot of mail from one folder to another (Thrash)?
>
> I have exactly the same problem here. Solaris 10, dovecot 1.0rc2,
> maildir, maildir space on a netapp filer mounted via NFS, Thunderbird 1.5.7
>
> I think in my case the filesystem is to slow. Could that be?

On my system I'm not mounting filesystem via NFS.

Using

Fibre Channel: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic FC919X Fibre Channel Adapter

attached directly to a

Vendor: NEXSAN    Model: ATAboy(9E263CD3)  Rev: A035

for the filesystem my mail is delivered to.

RAID5 on the ATAboy
Generated ext3 filesystem using
 * stride=16
 * dir_index
Mounting ext3 using data=writeback.

- Anders

--
 Anders Lund <Anders.Lund at uninett.no>             .~.
 UNINETT, N-7465 Trondheim, Norway               / V \