[Dovecot] maildirsize update error

Wed Nov 22 12:02:02 UTC 2006

>> Thunderbird does (don't most?) have the ability to delete a message
>> immediately, bypassing the 'Move to trash' operation, by simply
>> holding the 'Shift' key while deleting a message.
>>
>> How does/would dovecot react if a user did this? If dovecot allowed
>> the operation, then wouldn't a simple user education be a viable
>> workaround - just tell people how to do this in the mail client
>> they are using when this happens?

> I guess it all depends on how amenable to education the users are.  But,
> if user education was all that was necessary, I don't think that we
> would need quotas at all.

Well, that's definitely true, as far as it goes, but not germane to the
point under discussion...

No one has answered this question:

 >> How does/would dovecot react if a user did this? If dovecot allowed
 >> the operation,

Can someone who has quotas enabled answer the following 3 questions:

1. If a user is over quota, and they try to delete a big message while
holding down the shift key (in Thunderbird) - does dovecot delete the
message and update the users Quota properly, thus resolving the over
quota issue?

If so, then - in my case at least - this is a viable option. Of course,
it will not eliminate the help desk calls, but at least I can simply
point them to their user manual and yell at them for bothering me about
something they should already know how to do and that is well documented
in both their user manual and explicitly covered during their
orientation ;)...

2. (may have already been answered - if so, I missed it and
apologize)... if a user is over quota, and their trash has a bunch of
garbage in it - can the delete individual messages from there without an
error (since it wouldn't be a 'move' operation anymore)?

3. Same question for an 'Empty Trash' operation...

In my opinion, the answers to questions 2 & 3 should already be yes -
and if not, I would suggest that fixing the code to allow these
operations in an over quota situation would be 'a good thing'.

Thanks - this discussion is timely for me...

--

Best regards,

Charles