[Dovecot] small mbox and index files problem

Paul Shackel p.shackel at maths.uq.edu.au
Thu Nov 23 04:17:00 UTC 2006

Dovecot version: 1.0-0_33.rc15 built by atrpms
Operating system: Redhat EL4
CPU architecture: x86
Filesystem you used: mailboxs via nfs to fileserver using xfs

Just upgraded from 1.0-0_20.rc7 to 1.0-0_33.rc15 built by atrpms
and we had previously set mbox_min_index_size to 1024 (1Mb) and now all
mailboxes (mbox format) that are under this size
are not able to be opened and throw an
"Internal error occured. Refer to server log for more information."
using either Thunderbird or Outlook Express, both of which are
recent versions.

The small mailboxes can be opened after turning
mbox_min_index_size setting back to 0, at which time it creates

There is nothing in the syslog file.
I am looking in the right place as I can see the dovecot startup message.

paul