[Dovecot] Nested folders in FS supported yet?

Frank Cusack fcusack at fcusack.com
Mon Nov 27 23:07:16 UTC 2006

On November 27, 2006 5:26:33 PM -0500 Sweth Chandramouli
<dovecot at lists.sweth.net> wrote:
> The last time I checked, dovecot didn't support having nested IMAP
> folders be implemented via actual nested maildir folders in the
> filesystem, but that feature was on the "someday maybe it'll happen
> list", IIRC.  I can't find any recent mention of that feature or its
> absence on the web or in the list archives; is it still on the someday
> list?

It sounds like dovecot only wants to support Maildir++ which doesn't
allow this.  The reason it is not allowed appears to be for more
efficient quota support; although I haven't reviewed it (Maildir++)
thoroughly enough to be sure.

> (If it isn't implemented yet, does anyone know of an IMAP server that
> DOES support it?)

Don't know, but you could use mbox format to get nested folders.  With
uw-imap, I think you could use mh format as well, which gets you close
to maildir.

-frank