[Dovecot] considering dovecot

Francisco Reyes lists at stringsutils.com
Tue Nov 28 22:43:08 UTC 2006

Johannes Berg writes:

> There's just a slight performance increase if you use dovecot's lda, if
> you don't dovecot indexes the mails on the next access.

I would categorize this and say "it depends". Without dovecot's LDA new mail
will need to be indexed.

Depending on how much new mail is waiting since the lat time it was all
indexed and the speed of the machine it can produce some noticeable results.

Consider an account dedicated for handling lists. You could have hundreds of
new emails since the last time you checked. In such a I case I find that it
made a very noticeable difference. Specially in my lowly home machine.