[Dovecot] Dovecot as LDA

Dominic Marks dom at helenmarks.co.uk
Mon Oct 2 17:31:25 UTC 2006

Gerard Seibert wrote:
> FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE-p8
> postfix-current-2.4.20060903,3
> dovecot-1.0.r7

FYI: Make you either have the latest version of the dovecot port,
dovecot 1.0.r7_2 or build without kqueue support as there was a bug
which could be quite nasty:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=97492+0+/usr/local/www/db/text/2006/cvs-all/20061001.cvs-all

> I am experiencing a problem with dovecot as an LDA. It will not
> deliver
> mail unless the mail directory is chmod'd to 1777. Below is an example
> of the log file output.
>
> The dovecot.log file had over a hundred entries similar to this:
>
> deliver(gerard): Error:
> open(/var/mail/.temp.scorpio.seibercom.net.1123.cd38cd4d82e1368f)
> failed:
> Permission denied
> deliver(gerard): Error: file_lock_dotlock() failed with mbox
> file /var/mail/gerard: Permission denied

Is there a reason you are using dotlocking instead of another locking
method? If not set the lock_method to something else and try that.

> Obviously the /var/log/maillog had similar fail warnings.
>
> By changing the permission to 1777 on the /var/mail directory and
> running postsuper -r ALL, I was able to get the mail delivered.
>
> What I am trying to determine is if I really should have those
> settings
> on the directory, or if I have something configured wrong in either
> postfix or dovecot. Postfix will deliver mail without any problem so I
> think it has to do with dovecot although I am not sure what.

Dominic