[Dovecot] Dovecot as LDA

Gerard Seibert gerard at seibercom.net
Mon Oct 2 17:17:35 UTC 2006

FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE-p8
postfix-current-2.4.20060903,3
dovecot-1.0.r7

I am experiencing a problem with dovecot as an LDA. It will not deliver
mail unless the mail directory is chmod'd to 1777. Below is an example
of the log file output.

The dovecot.log file had over a hundred entries similar to this:

deliver(gerard): Error:
open(/var/mail/.temp.scorpio.seibercom.net.1123.cd38cd4d82e1368f) failed:
Permission denied
deliver(gerard): Error: file_lock_dotlock() failed with mbox
file /var/mail/gerard: Permission denied

Obviously the /var/log/maillog had similar fail warnings.

By changing the permission to 1777 on the /var/mail directory and
running postsuper -r ALL, I was able to get the mail delivered.

What I am trying to determine is if I really should have those settings
on the directory, or if I have something configured wrong in either
postfix or dovecot. Postfix will deliver mail without any problem so I
think it has to do with dovecot although I am not sure what.

--
Gerard