[Dovecot] Using NFS - which OS would you chose

Jonathan dovecot at redigloo.org
Mon Oct 2 18:04:47 UTC 2006

Hi,

I'm still looking at a large (under 100,000) user deployment of
Dovecot, with a NetApp NFS server as the back-end storage.

I've read a few remarks about needing the latest NFS patches from
Trond Myklebust to prevent lock-ups.

My management would be happiest with a vendor-supported distribution
(and especially Suse Linux Enterprise Server 9 or 10).  We will be
running on an x86 platform.

Under these circumstances, which operating system/distribution
would you choose?  And why?

Suse SLES9
OpenSuse
Debian
RedHat
FreeBSD
Solaris_x86
Nexenta (www.nexenta.org)

Many thanks for your thoughts/war stories.

Jonathan.