[Dovecot] Using NFS - which OS would you chose

Francisco Reyes lists at stringsutils.com
Mon Oct 2 19:01:59 UTC 2006

Jonathan writes:

> Under these circumstances, which operating system/distribution
> would you choose?  And why?
> FreeBSD

Just a quick comment on FreeBSD. I would NOT recommend it for a NFS server;
However if you have a clean network with a NetAPP you could use it as a
client.

I have read of large deployments of NetAPP server with FreeBSD clients. In
particular I believe Yahoo is doing that configuration.

Don't also forget that whatever you choose it should be something you are
either already familiar or willing to learn.

If you get feedback that OS ABC is best.. but you have never used it then it
is a mutt point. Perhaps you should decide which OSs you are most familiar
with or are willing to learn and then from that small pool see which is
good/best at NFS.