[Dovecot] Using NFS - which OS would you chose

Francisco Reyes lists at stringsutils.com
Tue Oct 3 06:59:23 UTC 2006

Jonathan writes:

> After 27 years of Unix-alike operating systems, I can probably put up
> with most :-)

You are too flexible. :-)
I am a "BSD" person.. can't imagine trying one of the many distros.. of
Linux..

> What I want is something that will be bullet-proof in deployment, and
> I'm not sure that out-of-the-box Linux is, right now.

I had pretty bad experience with NFS.. but Netapp server with FreeBSD client
is likely very workable.

How many mailstores do you plan to have?
Is it 1 netapp and many mailstores?
How many domains? ie.. one large domain or many domains.

I am asking because if you were doing multiple domains you may be able to
break the work down by using imap/pop3 proxies

Something like.

Front end machines running perdition/courier/dovecot proxy

multiple mailstores handling multiple domains

Netapp

This way only one mailstore will deal with a series of domains and you will
not have to worry about locks since only one mailstore will deal with a set
of files.