[Dovecot] Using NFS - which OS would you chose

Jonathan dovecot at redigloo.org
Mon Oct 2 20:06:19 UTC 2006

Francisco Reyes wrote:

> Jonathan writes:
>
>> Under these circumstances, which operating system/distribution
>> would you choose?  And why?
>> FreeBSD
>
> Just a quick comment on FreeBSD. I would NOT recommend it for a NFS
> server; However if you have a clean network with a NetAPP you could use
> it as a client.

My question is really about how mature the client is.  It seems Linux
has had some problems in the 2.6 kernel releases.

> I have read of large deployments of NetAPP server with FreeBSD clients.
> In particular I believe Yahoo is doing that configuration.
>
> Don't also forget that whatever you choose it should be something you
> are either already familiar or willing to learn.
>
> If you get feedback that OS ABC is best.. but you have never used it
> then it is a mutt point. Perhaps you should decide which OSs you are
> most familiar with or are willing to learn and then from that small pool
> see which is good/best at NFS.

After 27 years of Unix-alike operating systems, I can probably put up
with most :-)

What I want is something that will be bullet-proof in deployment, and
I'm not sure that out-of-the-box Linux is, right now.

Thanks,
Jonathan.