[Dovecot] SSL errors

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Oct 8 21:40:52 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-09-29 at 14:10 -0400, Bill Boebel wrote:
> On Fri, September 29, 2006 11:46 am, Dominic Marks <dom at helenmarks.co.uk> said:
>
> >> Actually, I found in the archives that I should increase login_process_size if
> >> I'm not running with login_process_per_connection.  I have done this and that
> >> seems to have taken care of the malloc failure.  However I am still getting a ton
> >> of these every few seconds:
> >>
> >> Sep 29 11:30:06 director4 dovecot: imap-login: SSL_read() syscall failed: EOF
> >> [70.171.61.190]
> >> Sep 29 11:30:06 director4 dovecot: imap-login: SSL_read() syscall failed: EOF
> >> [24.236.204.154]
> >> Sep 29 11:30:06 director4 dovecot: imap-login: SSL_read() syscall failed: EOF
> >> [70.171.61.190]
> >> Sep 29 11:30:08 director4 dovecot: imap-login: SSL_read() syscall failed: EOF
> >> [65.242.19.3]
> >>

> > These are client disconnects, I believe.
> >

> Yep, all of my customers who had IMAP SSL problems are reporting that the problem is fixed now that I have increased login_process_size to 64 MB.  In just two hours though the imap-login process is up to 33 MB, and continuing to grow.  Is that normal?  This particular server handles 1200 IMAP connections and 800 IMAPS connections concurrently on average.

I don't know how much memory each SSL connection takes, but I'd suggest
increasing the memory limit even higher, maybe even 256MB. If it
continues to grow up to it then I guess there's a memory leak somewhere.

The EOF errors are pointless. It just means that the other side closed
the connection without sending a proper SSL BYE message. I don't think
verbose_ssl is all that useful for anything.

As for the "Bad file descriptor" errors, that is a bug.. How often do
you see them? I guess I'll anyway look at the code if I can figure out
why it could happen.