[Dovecot] Trying to use "deliver" as a LDA

Gerard Seibert gerard at seibercom.net
Mon Oct 9 17:30:43 UTC 2006

On Monday 09 October 2006 11:49, Stéphane Legrand wrote:

> I'm trying to use "deliver" as a LDA for some users. I found the page
> http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA where i read that i can use the ".forward"
> file in the user HOME directory. However, when i try, i get the
> following error in the maillog file :
>
> ... deliver(...): mbox: We need root IMAP folder, but can't find it or
> HOME environment
> ...deliver(...): Failed to create storage for 'user' with mail
> 'mbox:/var/mail/user'
>
> where "user" is the user login.
>
> How can i fix this error ? My aim by using "deliver" as a LDA is to
> force a quota for the mailbox user. Is this the right thing to do to
> achieve this ?

I am using Dovecot as an LDA on a FreeBSD 6.1 system; however, I start it
directly from Postfix. In addition, you may run into a permission problem.
I got around it by setting /var/mail to '1777'. I am still working on
refining the solution further though. It probably requires Dovecot to
either run as root to deliver the mail, or switch to the mailbox users
credentials.

--
Gerard Seibert
gerard at seibercom.net

There is no sincerer love than the love of food.

	George Bernard Shaw