[Dovecot] Trying to use "deliver" as a LDA

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Oct 9 17:44:24 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-09 at 17:49 +0200, Stéphane Legrand wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to use "deliver" as a LDA for some users. I found the page
> http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA where i read that i can use the ".forward"
> file in the user HOME directory. However, when i try, i get the
> following error in the maillog file :
>
> ... deliver(...): mbox: We need root IMAP folder, but can't find it or
> HOME environment
> ...deliver(...): Failed to create storage for 'user' with mail
> 'mbox:/var/mail/user'

Well, two things:

1) You shouldn't use mbox:/var/mail/user. It works only as long as the
user file exists. If it ever is removed, this fails because Dovecot then
assumes it points to a directory. I think I should just make Dovecot
give error message directly instead of having it half-work..

2) As it says, Dovecot needs to know where its index files and such are
stored. Since it's started from .forward, it looks like the $HOME
environment isn't set and Dovecot doesn't know where to find it.

One easy solution would be to change default_mail_env to:

default_mail_env = mbox:/home/%u/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u