[Dovecot] Dovecot LDA

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Oct 9 21:09:15 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-09 at 14:38 -0500, Steven F Siirila wrote:
> After doing this, Postfix is still unable to deliver, and the mailq command
> shows my attempts there with (temporary failure).  I see no error messages
> anywhere that would help me determine what's going on.

The problem is probably that deliver doesn't have write access to your
log files. You could fix log files' permissions to allow it to write to
them, or alternatively (especially if you're using syslog) you could
make deliver use different log file:

protocol lda {
  ..
  log_path = /var/log/dovecot-lda.log
}

And make sure it has write access to it :)

> > I don't know what inserts the extra From_-line with mailbox_command
> > though. I don't think it's normal..
>
> I assume that you believe Postfix is doing it, right?

So it seems. Maybe others haven't noticed it being a problem because
they're using maildir and having extra From_-line at the beginning of a
maildir file doesn't matter that much..

> > Anyway, I think this should also be fixed in deliver in some way. It
> > really shouldn't allow inserting From_-lines inside headers.
>
> I'm confused.  I thought you just made changes to the Dovecot deliver
> program to SET the FROM address to place in "From " headers that it adds...?

Yes, I did that. I just mean that currently Dovecot doesn't filter out
any From_-lines that it sees. In message body that's not a problem, but
in headers it is a problem, because then saving the mail to mbox could
cause Dovecot to parse it as two different mails. This isn't a problem
with just deliver, but also when saving new mails via IMAP. Although
there's really no reason why anyone would try to do that via IMAP.. And
I don't know if SMTP servers already do any checks that remove the extra
From_-lines.