[Dovecot] RC8 failing...

Timothy Meader Tim.Meader at gsfc.nasa.gov
Tue Oct 10 16:18:58 UTC 2006

I just tried upgrading from RC7 to RC8 this morning, and I'm seeing
an issue I've never seen before. On my first POP3 login, all is fine,
but any subsequent logins seem to fail with the message:

dovecot: Oct 10 11:04:31 Error: Maximum number of mail processes exceeded

In the dovecot log file.

I'm also oddly seeing the message:

Oct 10 11:01:05 popbkup pop3-login: [ID 799321 mail.crit] Dovecot
version mismatch: Master is v1.0.rc7, login is v1.0.rc8 (if you don't
care, set version_ignore=yes)

in the messages file on my system. Don't really understand that one,
and I've done a complete shutdown of all dovecot or *-login *-auth
processes prior to the "make install" for RC8.

The only possible config file change I can think of that might've
caused this (that was mentioned in the release notes for RC8) is the
default_mail_env value, however, I believe mine is fine:

mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%1u/%1.1u/%u

This is for an actual mailbox with a two character hash for the
maildrop directory.

I was looking forward to giving RC8 a spin, but I've had to revert
back to RC7 for now.

Thanks in advance.

---
Tim Meader