[Dovecot] POP3 - Mark messages as read

Jose Gervasio Gomiz goma at bblanca.com.ar
Tue Oct 10 16:28:44 UTC 2006

Hi all. I have a little problem with Dovecot.
My POP3 users can retrieve their emails without problem, but if they have
"Leave mail in server" (or similar) active in their clients, their mboxes
doesn't get updated marking those messages as read.
If I access their mboxes locally with "mail -f username" I can see every
message marked as non-read, something that never happened before when I used
qpopper. I should note that when they retrieve their emails afterwards those
previously received doesn't arrive again (correct behavior).

My setup is:

RHEL 4 Update 4
dovecot-0.99.11-4.EL4 (last version in RH Updates)
mbox format, external POP3, local only IMAP (Squirrelmail)

I couldn't find references to this in /etc/dovecot.conf, the FAQ or via web
searching.
Should I upgrade to dovecot-1.x to solve this? Even if RH doesn't support it
yet?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Jose Gomiz