[Dovecot] Fwd: Received dates problem in Outlook after migration

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Oct 12 08:53:25 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-10-12 at 07:49 +0100, James Wyper wrote:
> Having looked at this again, I think I have a hypothesis:
>
> 1.  Outlook is ignoring the date/timestamps on the files in my Maildirs

Outlook should use IMAP's INTERNALDATE, which are taken from maildir
files' mtime timestamps. If these timestamps are correct but they're not
showing correctly in Outlook, I'd guess Outlook is caching them
internally. One way to fix this would be to change UIDVALIDITY to force
a coplete resync. You can do this by modifying the second number in
dovecot-uidlist file.

> 2.  The file names of my transferred files follow a similar pattern
> (they start with near-identical numbers)

Filenames don't really matter.

> 3.   Dovecot's file naming scheme for mails must relate somehow to the
> date that they were created / transferred / received

Yea. The first number is the UNIX timestamp, but this is done only to
make maildir filenames unique.

> 4.   If I can therefore **rename** the files correctly to reflect their
> sending date then I can fix my problem

Doesn't change anything.