[Dovecot] trouble setting up dovecot on Ubuntu server with mysql backend

Richard Harding rharding at mitechie.com
Thu Oct 12 19:56:06 UTC 2006

I'm trying to setup dovecot to use my postfixadmin user accounts on an
ubuntu server.

dovecot versions:
dovecot-common 		1.0.beta3-3ubuntu5.3
dovecot-imapd       	1.0.beta3-3ubuntu5.3

I have gotten the account up and I can see dovecot query for the
password for the user, but I get login failed.

In my mail.log I only see this:
dovecot: imap-login: Aborted login: user=<user at domain.com>,
method=PLAIN, rip=IP_ADDR, lip=IP_ADDR, TLS

I can't see to find any other information that can help me figure out
why it won't accept the password. The passwords in mysql are md5crypt
passwords according to postfixadmin's conf file.

// In what way do you want the passwords to be crypted?
// md5crypt = internal postfix admin md5
// system = whatever you have set as your PHP system default
// cleartext = clear text passwords (ouch!)
$CONF['encrypt'] = 'md5crypt';

In my old setup I have auth_mechanisms just set to plain. Any help is
greatly appreciated. I feel like I'm just missing one thing that get the
passwords to be accepted.

Thanks...Rick

dovecot.conf
protocols = imap imaps
ssl_disable = no
log_timestamp = "%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S "
mail_extra_groups = mail
mail_debug = yes
default_mail_env = maildir:/home/vmail/%d/%n/
protocol imap {
}

protocol pop3 {
}

auth default {
     mechanisms = plain login digest-md5
     passdb sql {
         args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf
     }

     userdb sql {
        args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf
     }

     socket listen {
         client {
             user = postfix
             group = postfix
             path = /var/spool/postfix/private/auth
             mode = 0660
         }
     }
   mechanisms = digest-md5 plain
   user = root
}

plugin {
}

dovecot-sql.conf
driver = mysql
connect = host=127.0.0.1 user=postfix password=$PASS dbname=postfix
password_query = SELECT password FROM mailbox WHERE username = '%u'
user_query = SELECT maildir, 106 AS uid, 112 AS gid FROM mailbox WHERE
username = '%u'