[Dovecot] trouble setting up dovecot on Ubuntu server with mysql backend

Anand Buddhdev arb at anand.org
Thu Oct 12 21:51:49 UTC 2006

Richard Harding wrote:

Hi Richard,

> I can't see to find any other information that can help me figure out
> why it won't accept the password. The passwords in mysql are md5crypt
> passwords according to postfixadmin's conf file.

The fact that the passwords are in md5crypt format in your mysql
database is the key. You need to provide this information to Dovecot.
In the dovecot-sql.conf file, you need to add a parameter,
called "default_pass_scheme". If you do not specify one, Dovecot
defaults to PLAIN-MD5, but you need to set it to MD5, as described
here:

http://wiki.dovecot.org/Authentication/PasswordSchemes

--
Anand