[Dovecot] 1.0rc8: another problem? Possibly 64-bit index?

Jens Laas jens.laas at data.slu.se
Fri Oct 13 07:41:36 UTC 2006

(06.10.12 kl.19:06) Jakob Curdes skrev följande till :

>> Yes, but the OP was reporting trying to run *both* a 32-bit and a 64-bit
>> server sharing the same NFS-mounted filesystem.  In other words, either you
>> (Timo) need to change the indexes to be platform independent (i.e. no
>> 64-bit-isms) or you need to put a BIG WARNING to not share the message
>> indexes between different width platforms.  The performance hit of repeated
>> nuking of the index files is going to be huge.
>
> I thought that would be an obvious thing as a DON'T - I think many
> applications would choke on that one.

Or you can separate the indexes with a little loss of storage space.
I guess it could even be directly supported by dovecot.
Ex .imap32, .imap64

Cheers,
Jens

> Yours, JC

     'In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
      But, in practice, there is.'
     Jens Låås                              Email: jens.laas at data.slu.se
     Department of Computer Services, SLU   Phone: +46 18 67 35 15
     Vindbrovägen 1
     P.O. Box 7079
     S-750 07 Uppsala
     SWEDEN