[Dovecot] 1.0rc8: another problem? Possibly 64-bit index?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Oct 13 15:27:52 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-10-13 at 12:53 +0100, Jonathan wrote:
> Jens Laas wrote:
>
> > Or you can separate the indexes with a little loss of storage space.
> > I guess it could even be directly supported by dovecot.
> > Ex .imap32, .imap64
>
> It shouldn't be hard to make the indexes machine independent (e.g.
> 32/64 bit

I guess I'll do this. The problem is only these time_t fields that I'm
using directly. I think we can manage for a while with 32bit
timestamps. :) Although this means that in next release the
dovecot.index.cache files will be rebuilt in 64bit systems.

Also uoff_t is used directly in there, but I'll leave them since they're
64bit by default also with 32bit machines.

>  and even little-endian/big-endian - see htonl(3)).

This isn't that simple. The index files are directly mmap()ed to memory
and the data is used all over the place. It'd slow down and bloat
everything.