[Dovecot] master/config/log/login rewrite

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Oct 14 21:13:52 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-10-14 at 03:11 +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> Most importantly this should fix the login process problems that people
> have been reporting.

Or not. I'm getting tired of that crap.

A bit over a year ago I rewrote the master process and its communication
with login process. I also made config and log handling separate
processes. I decided then not to use it since it was such a large change
and v1.0 release was near (yea, right ;).

I spent today upgrading that code to contain the newest changes from CVS
and fixing it in general. All of these login process problems seem to
have gone away after using that code. Also it seems to be much faster
than the old code.

Now, I wonder if I still should try to get the login process bugs fixed
from the old code tree, or just forget about that and use the rewrite..

One problem with the rewrite is that some settings in configuration file
will change. Although I guess I could add backwards compatibility for
most of them..

In case you're interested, this is how the native config looks like:
http://dovecot.org/tmp/dovecot-1.conf

I was anyway going to separate all the service {} blocks to a separate
dovecot-master.conf so that normally users would know not to edit it.

Also note that the service configuration makes it possible for services
to have multiple listeners, ie. it's finally possible to make Dovecot
listen in on multiple separate IP addresses. Or you could even create a
UNIX socket where to listen for IMAP connections. :)