[Dovecot] master/config/log/login rewrite

Chris Wakelin c.d.wakelin at reading.ac.uk
Sun Oct 15 00:32:08 UTC 2006

Timo Sirainen wrote:

> Now, I wonder if I still should try to get the login process bugs fixed
> from the old code tree, or just forget about that and use the rewrite..

I'd favour sticking with the existing processes until after 1.0 is
released. A major change like that probably shouldn't happen at Release
Candidate stage.

Having said that, I like the ideas suggested by the new config file.
I've been very impressed with how flexible Dovecot already is, with
multiple authentication databases, variable substitutions, namespaces
etc. so this would be following in the grand tradition! The only
downside is it makes it a little bit harder to follow the config
file(s), but if it's commented as well as usual, it'll probably be fine.

As far as login process problems are concerned, I'm not terribly worried
about the occasional failed login as long as Dovecot itself doesn't
panic and stop accepting new connections. Perhaps Dovecot could try and
keep going when the auth process dies (i.e fork a new one), though this
may be slightly less secure and so should probably be an option. (Or I
guess I could look at daemon-tools or other tricks to restart Dovecot if
it dies.)

Best Wishes,
Chris

--
Christopher Wakelin,                           c.d.wakelin at reading.ac.uk
IT Services Centre, The University of Reading,  Tel: +44 (0)118 378 8439
Whiteknights, Reading, RG6 2AF, UK              Fax: +44 (0)118 975 3094