[Dovecot] File isn't in mbox format: /home/foo/mail/Trash

Jethro R Binks jethro.binks at strath.ac.uk
Tue Oct 17 11:22:03 UTC 2006

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006, Phil Roffe wrote:

> We had a problem with this several months ago.  The alarming aspect of the
> corruption is when it occurs at the beginning of an email (i.e.
> ^@^@^@From:...).  Emails can be lost/appended to the bottom of the previous
> email.

Isn't that the delimiter format for one of the other mailbox formats that
is a bit like mbox?

> We had several applications accessing the mbox (Dovecot and Pine mainly).
> Reconfiguring Pine to use IMAP (using Dovecot) rather than write to the mbox
> directly appears to have fixed the problem and we have had no corruption for
> several months now.

That would make sense; I think Pine (via cclient) could use that mailbox
format.

... I think is it "MMDF" described this page:

http://www.washington.edu/imap/documentation/formats.txt.html

Jethro.

Jethro R Binks
Computing Officer, IT Services