[Dovecot] File isn't in mbox format: /home/foo/mail/Trash

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Oct 17 12:33:36 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-17 at 11:22 +0100, Jethro R Binks wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Oct 2006, Phil Roffe wrote:
>
> > We had a problem with this several months ago.  The alarming aspect of the
> > corruption is when it occurs at the beginning of an email (i.e.
> > ^@^@^@From:...).  Emails can be lost/appended to the bottom of the previous
> > email.
>
> Isn't that the delimiter format for one of the other mailbox formats that
> is a bit like mbox?
..
> ... I think is it "MMDF" described this page:

Nope. MMDF uses "^A^A^A^A\n" as the separator. ^@ means NUL character.

When Dovecot starts moving data around in mbox file it first increases
the file size by writing NUL-bytes to the end of the file (so that no
unexpected out-of-diskspace/quota errors can happen). With 0.99.x
somehow these NUL-bytes ended up at the beginning of the mbox file.