[Dovecot] Problem with indexes

Logan Shaw lshaw at emitinc.com
Fri Oct 20 00:56:01 UTC 2006

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006, crs wrote:
> Dovecot is really good software but I have one big problem with indexes. I
> have server with a lot of mailboxes - filesystem has quota enabled and I
> can't resign it from different reasons. When mailbox achieve quota size and
> user wants to pick mails via pop3, error "-ERR Mailbox is in inconsistent
> state, please relogin." is given. I know it's because dovecot can't write
> indexes. Is it possible to force dovecot to write indexes with definite
> owner/group f.e dovecot/dovecot and not owner/group of mailbox?

Hmm, just a random suggestion, but another possible idea would
be for dovecot to immediately delete the index it's writing if
a write() fails.  If there's a write error, It's not going to
be a valid index anyway, so it might as well be deleted and
be allowed to be automatically rebuilt later (if possible).

   - Logan